Game between Sassanid and Romans

 My opponent was Ian. In this game, I used a very unusual Sassanid army with a Kushan ally to maximise the Cataphracts. My tactic was limit the terrain by invading in Coastal terrain and just have a deep water secure flank. That worked because I won the PBS phase very decisively. The point at which my plan failed was when I got outscouted by 110% ( 3 reds and a green for Ian, 2 greens for me).

The net result was, Ian deployed his entire army, barring 2 units, on his left flank, whereas my army was in my left and centre. I did eventually get into combat, after loads of manoeuvring but, it took so long because of the Cataphracts having a slower movement than Ian's Cavalry.

My flanks did get exposed and I lost a couple of units, however i killed one of the units that Ian out on his right wing. Eventually (read as, they were able to kill a base, and while they should have broken at Impact, they were instead at half strength post the first impact phase.) Clearly red dice don't always work.

My second unit that I killed was a small Equites unit with a Kushan Cataphract unit, even though I was enveloped on 2 or 3 sides.

Other casualties on my side, as well as my unit of Cavalry and a Kushan unit of Cataphracts, were my 2 Skirmishing Horse Archers. The final score was 8-6 to Ian. The whole crux of my plan was being fully outscouted.

A game with lots of manoeuvring is more or less guaranteed to time out, especially if the 2 opposing armies are on opposite sides to each other.

Sassanid Casualties at the end of the game.


Roman casualties.


Initial deployment.


Terrain, what terrain?


Final position of market on terrain map.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Late Imperial Roman analysis