Outremer and Reconquista game 1

Steve's and my initial deployment 
A very rascally Ghuzz unit evading my mixed units
The central clash
Steve's casualties before it started slipping away.
Surviving just about. Steve's waterway covering my left.
The Ghuzz had taken casualties but too little too late.
My Fanatics are playing "keep away from those people bearing points sticks!"
All the competitors at the event, and I believe a Bloodbowl competition was happening at the same time.

 I'll just preface this report by saying I had a wonderful weekend and 4 immensely enjoyable games.

Round 1 Steve Stead with Almoravid in Africa

I started Saturday morning with a very tough game against an army which counters mine. My advantage is my Cavalry if they're not facing Steve's Spears. I won PBS in a way, but getting the terrain into coastal with a deep water flank, which was abutted by Steve's gentle hill. I got outscouted by about 40%.

I placed my poor Bows one on either side with mixed units in echelon on my right, 1 unit of which being between my Knights. Very early on, I was able to catch a unit of Light Cavalry with, I believe a Superior Knight unit. It helped that he only got one shot because I was behind the Light Cavalry's flank. 

Later on, I charged into the Exceptional Spears with my only Average Knight unit but with a view to killing a Skirmisher unit next to the Exceptionals. The Skirmishers rolled a 1 and were caught. I also managed to avoid Steve's flank charge with his Christian Knights against one of my Superior Knights. I proceeded to butcher the Christian Knights due to them not being Melee Expert. At this point, it was 4-0 and nearly 5-0 in my favour as I had a Skirmisher unit on the verge of breaking due to Crossbow fire. 

Then the game started turning around a bit. My Crossbow Spear unit on the left got beaten by one of Steve's Average Spears, my Average Knights and I believe 2 Superior Knights died to Superior Long Spears. I also lost a mixed unit on my right. I evaded a defeat by sheer luck. Pulling back the Knights as and when I could when facing Long Spears helped me get a 6-12 draw in Steve's favour. 

I was probably in hindsight overcautious in this game, but my Knights don't like those Spears unless the Spears charge them. However when Steve did charge, only 1 file was charging so I couldn't do anywhere near enough damage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Late Imperial Roman analysis