First of all, thanks so much to everyone for a wonderful 3rd MeG competition. The venue was  excellent as well in my opinion.
I'm going to start with describing my very gimmicky composition, Late Republican Romans.
Legendary Professional CinC,
Competent Professional Ally,
Mediocre Professional Sub.
1 8 of Exceptional Impact Weapon Shield Cover Melee Expert Legions.
4 6s of the same but Superior.
2 8s of the same but Average.
1 4 of Poor of the same but Orb replacing Melee Expert.
1 4 of Cavalry Short Spear Unskilled Javelin.
Poor Fortified Camp.

My first opponent is Keith Spedding with Early Sassanid Persian. A tough proposition for the first round.
I won the PBS phase decisively and forced the terrain into dense with a mountainous or forest secure flank. As the invader, in true Roman fashion, I lunged forward with my Legions against Keith's Cataphracts and 4 of Elephants.
See that big hole in my line? That's where the X Legio were. Fortunately I'd caused lots of damage with them. My single line of Superior Legions is occupying 2 Tugs and a Sug of Cavalry, just refusing to suffer casualties due to Shield cover and slowly pushing the Cavalry back.
As well as the X Legio I did lose a Superior Legion but I'd started putting Sassanids to the sword. I'd killed I believe 4 Tugs at this stage.
My unit on the left is keeping another Tug out of the game.
The final straw for the Sassanids was me breaking a Cataphract unit.


I was insanely lucky throughout the game, for example rolling 4 wounds and 3 skulls in the first 8 dice rolls. Main lesson is protect your flanks and don't underestimate the distance required to protect those flanks. Caesar got downgraded but that was the only time any of my generals got downgraded over the weekend. Score of 15-4 to the Romans.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Late Imperial Roman analysis