Spartacus Slave Revolt vs Early Imperial Roman


Before starting the battle report, I should state that most of the comments on the photos are from what I remember to have happened in the game. I believe this was played sometime in January this year or perhaps earlier. My opponent was Hammy.
The armies deployed, an uncivilized mob vs disciplined troops. 15 Tugs and 6 Skirmishers in the Slave army.
Three ambush markers, why not? 
The armies are trundling forward against each other, and as the Slave commander, I have revealed one ambush as fake. The Romans take the hill.
The Slaves prepare to attack uphill. They are clearly insane.
The battle has been joined. On the Slave left, Cavalry are appearing on the flanks.
Somehow the Slaves are surviving and beating the Romans on the hill.
I believe I threw the commanders of the Fanatic units into combat at this stage to beat the Romans which were off the hill. 2nd mistake from my point of view, but this time it was costly.
Battle is very vicious. Quite a few Roman units are on their last legs. By the way, the camp was in rge centre of my deployment and got sacked by Roman Cavalry. The right most unit in the picture was ambushing.
The Slaves are losing bases steadily. It's not going all their way.
The Romans are suffering against the mass of Slaves, having been reduced to mostly single rank files.
Somehow, the Slaves broke the Romans on the hill but I believe at least 1 unit may have broken. The Cavalry in the distance are threatening the flank of the Poor Devastating Chargers near the Slave's back edge.
The Romans have resisted and beaten the Slaves, breaking both Fanatic units, at least one of which lost the general.  The Slave Cavalry are feeling slightly unhappy and probably about to break. The Poor Devastating Chargers are dead men walking when the Cavalry hit their flank. The other losses that the Slaves suffered, in addition to the camp, were 4 units of Romanised Slaves and 1 unit of Poor Devastating Chargers. Clearly a break point of 8 isn't enough.

The final result I believe was 15-10 or 15-8 to the Early Imperial Romans. My lessons from the game were, don't attack enemies uphill unless you know you have a reasonable chance of killing them, don't commit generals into combat with Fanatic units unless they are a base off breaking. I had Mediocre commanders in charge of the Fanatics so I could automatically place them with the Fanatics and not be tempted to move the generals from those units. A third lesson is, if your camp has access to a secure flank, place it on the secure flank, especially if your opponent is unlikely to flank March.





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Late Imperial Roman analysis